Midhurst/March 27, 2023 – The County of Simcoe is committed to working with member municipalities to support the pursuit of higher education. Through the County’s long-standing Education Bursary Program, twenty-one $3,000 bursaries are available to County of Simcoe students attending a post-secondary institution in Canada. One bursary is guaranteed for a resident of each of the County of Simcoe’s sixteen member municipalities.
For the first time, bursaries are now available to Simcoe County students entering any year of a post-secondary education anywhere in Canada. Part-time students are also now eligible for a bursary.
“The County is pleased to support students and families across the County through our expanded bursary program. Preparing our next generation for the job market is key to our future success. With the support of all sixteen of our member municipalities and Georgian College, we look forward to offering these bursaries to both full- and part-time students and helping more families with this important investment.”Warden Basil Clarke
The Bursary Program provides residents accepted into the program with financial assistance to access post-secondary education and training. This program is consistent with the County of Simcoe’s commitment to education, as well as encouraging community involvement and civic responsibility.
For the second year running, the County is partnering with Georgian College to offer local students additional financial support. Georgian College is offering an additional $1,500 for up to five students attending their institution who receive a student bursary through the County of Simcoe.
Eligible applicants must reside in Simcoe County, and:
- Be a resident of a participating Simcoe County municipality and a Canadian citizen or permanent resident
- Have graduated (or be eligible for graduation in the year of application) with an Ontario Secondary School Diploma in Simcoe County*
- In the year of application, be enrolled and/or commencing studies in an undergraduate program at a Canadian university or college as a full-time or part-time student
- Demonstrate interest in, and contribution to, their community through active participation in extracurricular activities at their school and/or in community organizations
Eligible applicants are invited to complete an online application, which includes the submission of a 500-word essay on a pre-determined topic, as well as an explanation as to why they should be awarded a bursary. Applicants must also provide a copy of their Grade 12 or most recent post-secondary transcript and proof of enrollment at an Ontario University or College in an undergraduate program. Applicants must submit their online application by July 28, 2023. For more information about the program, visit simcoe.ca/studentbursary.
* Diploma must be through an accredited institution. Includes some home-schooling programs, such as the Independent Learning Centre or the Virtual Learning Centre.
About County of Simcoe
County of Simcoe is composed of sixteen member municipalities and provides crucial public services to County residents in addition to providing paramedic and social services to the separated cities of Barrie and Orillia. Visit our website at simcoe.ca.